[Glade-devel] Glade 3.9.0 Released
Tristan Van Berkom
tristanvb at openismus.com
Thu Jan 6 05:26:01 EST 2011
... And so it was, that yet another GNOME module updated itself to build
against the mighty forces of GTK+ 3.0 ... and they lived happily
That's right folks, Glade for GTK+ 3.0 is here... this is the first
development release leading up to Glade 3.10 which will run against
GTK+ 3.0, currently this software builds and runs against the latest
GTK+ git master.
Few things I need/would like to mention for this release:
Let it be known that we plan to release a stable Glade 3.8
and a stable Glade 3.10 in parallel for GNOME 3.
Glade 3.8: Will include all support Glade has always included
for GTK+ up till version 2.24.
Glade 3.10: Will include support only for widgets that are still
included in GTK+ 3.0 and additionally drops support
They will of course be parallel installable, Glade 3.8 in the long
term will hopefully serve as a decent migration path for older
projects migrating to 3.0.
Thanks to all the contributors that helped to make this possible.
- Johannes Schmid
- Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
- Juan Pablo Ugarte
- Matthias Clasen
- Javier Jardón
- Martin Schlemmer
- Daniel Macks
- Benjamin Otte
- Christian Persch
- Dieter Verfaillie
And thanks to Openismus GmbH who has sponsored this release
of Glade in a really big way.
What is Glade?
Glade is a RAD tool to enable quick & easy development of user
interfaces for the GTK+ toolkit and the GNOME desktop environment.
The user interfaces designed in Glade are saved as XML, and by using
the GtkBuilder GTK+ object these can be loaded by applications
dynamically as needed.
By using GtkBuilder, Glade XML files can be used in numerous
programming languages including C, C++, C#, Vala, Java, Perl,
Python, and others.
- General build fixes for building with GTK+ 3.0, including
patches from Johannes Schmid, Matthias Clasen, Javier Jardón
and Juan Pablo Ugarte.
- Included the new Preview feature by
Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita.
- Various leaks and crashes fixed.
- GladeWidget becomes GInitiallyUnowned, refcounting improved
for project dispose cycles.
- Handle combo-box entry child properly (bug 581580).
- Fixed crashes when textview's buffer is deleted, fix by
Martin Schlemmer, bug 609748.
- Restored property order of project objects at save time
(glade files no longer container irrelevant diffs).
- Hide editor properties when the property is not available on
the widget, bug 585299,
fix by Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita.
- Fixed makefiles as per bug 521713 (patch initially by
- Fixed mixups of properties vs packing properties (bug 637475).
- Fixed class header of GladeEditor to update when widgets
unload (patch by Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita, bug 637541).
- Fixed particalarly nasty crasher bug when loading/saving
treestore column definitions, special thanks goes to
Benjamin Otte, bug 637563.
- Add progress bar to notebook tab of currently loading
project (now the whole UI doesnt jam up while loading a
- Fixed notebook tab style to use the new CSS stuff.
- Removed widgets that are not available in 3.0
- Completely removed Libglade support
- Removed GladeClipBoardView completely
- Removed GladeParameter obsolete code
- Fixed editor labels to use natural word wrapping
- Drop GtkTables in editors in favor of GtkGrid
- Added custom editor for editing GtkActionGroup and managing
- Ran 'indent' on source base, new Glade coding style more
similar to GTK+ style
- Removed boolean "fixed" catalog attribute, instead
<create-widget-function> can be used to specify a derived
GladeWidget to be used in the runtime.
- Use locale-independent strtod & dtostr. Fixes bug 616787,
fix by Christian Persch.
- Applying patch to allow better builds on win32,
patch by Dieter Verfaillie, bug 634978.
- Fixed loaded state of use-action-appearance so that it always
loads as FALSE if there is no "related-action" at load time
(closes bug 582882).
- Sealed entire core API, libgladeui-2 will be ABI stable
after 3.10 release.
- Removed GladeApp::update-ui signal, active-project,
selection handling and implied commands, everything now must
be done in context of a GladeProject.
- Optimized GladeEditor to load a widget faster by keeping all
the cached pages in internal vboxes and not remove/adding them
but just hide/showing them (improves object selection time).
- Optimized frontend to load one palette per project, verifying
the palette for version information when the related project
is set costs around 1 second, this is now only experienced
when the target version is changed in the project prefs
Where can I get it ?
For more information on the Glade project see our home page
More information about the Glade-devel