[Mono-dev] Re: What would you like to see in Mono?

Sharique uddin Ahmed Farooqui safknw at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 03:18:06 EST 2006

On 3/30/06, Jonathan Pryor <jonpryor at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 12:58 +0530, Sharique uddin Ahmed Farooqui wrote:
> > I want to see a system wide api in Mono (sonthing like System.linux or
> > linux.system).  By using this u can handle any kind of stuff on linux.
> Rudimentary support for this exists in Mono.Unix and Mono.Unix.Native,
> in Mono.Posix.dll.
> > Everything (i.e. services, cronjobs, even kernel resources etc ) on
> > linux can be handled directly without calling any other api (or system
> > call).
> One problem with this: none of it is standardized.  Red Hat will differ
> from SuSE will differ from Debian will differ from...

We can implament an abstacrt interface as done in syste.data. rest
leave for the vendor to implament it. (as every databse vendor
implements IDbconnection and so on.)
> At least for startup scripts, and lots of other things.
> I for one don't wish to keep up with all of the potential variations.
>  - Jon

Sharique uddin Ahmed Farooqui
(C++/C# Developer. IT Consultant, Open Source Expert)
DOAccess : Object data access library for MySql. Zero codeing, early
binding for MySql