[Mono-dev] ANN: Smokey 0.3.2.0
jesjones at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 13 22:36:41 EDT 2007
Smokey is a command line tool used to analyze assemblies and report
problems. Problems include buggy code (e.g. infinite recursion, null
deref, malformed format string), performance issues (e.g. string
concatenation in loops, excessive boxing, large structs), violations
of the .NET design guidelines (e.g. inheriting from
ApplicationException or ICloneable, naming, and swallowing
exceptions), and miscellaneous rules like misspelled words in string
You can download Smokey from <https://home.comcast.net/~jesse98/
public/smokey-0.3.2.0.tar.gz>. There's also a sample report at
a 1.2.5 assembly. Note that Smokey found a few serious errors:
* Infinite recursion at OrderedDictionary::OnDeserialization.
* Lot's of classes not throwing NoObjectDisposedException.
* Lot's of IDisposable fields not being disposed and temporary
IDisposable objects not disposed of.
Changes from Smokey 0.0.2.1:
* Fixed the version number.
* Fixed the xml schemas so they work with the stricter validation
engine in mono 1.2.5.
* Added 29 new rules.
* Completely rewrote the basic block code.
* Added spiffy new visitors using a double dispatch engine.
More information about the Mono-devel-list