[Mono-docs-list] Re: doctools: fork in the road?
Miguel de Icaza
17 Feb 2002 15:57:28 -0500
Here are my thoughts on the issue:
* We can not really depend on the csc /doc output for our
documentation (the details are described in:
The short answer is: when you are dealing with translations,
we will be dealing on the long term with 27 languages, and
I do certainly do not want to have 27 languages in the source
* The /doc output is fine as long as it used for smaller
projects, but in our particular case, we are going to have
to document the APIs for a number of languages, and we will
also use specialized tools to maintain the documentation in
all those languages.
* Documentation in the source code, although convenient
sometimes, can be confused with actual documentation of the
* The MS DTD as you point out might not be as flexible as we
need it to be.
* There are other reasons for keeping the docs outside the
documentation, which Juantomás once brought up with me,
but I do forget. Basically, translators do have a very hard
time tracking changes from the inline API docs (even in the
So that pretty much rules out NDoc for our needs. Having a bridge
that generates an input files that NDoc can consume might be worth
doing, so we can at least leverage that part of their work (ie, reuse
their back-ends, but have a different front-end).