[MonoDevelop] syntax definition of "addin.xml"
m.j.hutchinson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 02:33:35 EST 2010
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Vasili I. Galchin <vigalchin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't see on
> the on-going definition of the syntax of *addiin.xml. Where is the
> current definition of *addin.xml?
There isn't a set schema, as the format is extensible - addins can add
extension points for other addins to use. There is a slightly
out-of-date autogenerated document at
However, the best way IMO is to look at the extensions in existing addins.
The articles at http://monodevelop.com/Developers/Articles are also very useful
Getting started, and basic concepts:
Overviews of APIs:
For writing a .NET language binding, there are a few stages of things
you can do:
1) stub out the addin
2) file type definitions
3) IDotNetLanguageBinding for project & compilation support
4) file & project templates
5) option panels for setting language-specific project options
6) a syntax highlighting definition
7) code templates
8) a parser, to provide outlining, folding, class list, quick finder,
and fill the database that code completion uses
9) a text editor extension subclassing CompletionTextEditorExtension,
to provide code completion and smart indentation etc.
10) add Refactorer to the IDotNetLanguageBinding implementation to
support things like find refs, rename, insert member etc
11) other things like code formatter etc.
I can provide more specifics on any one of these.
More information about the Monodevelop-list