[MonoTouch] MonoTouch justifications

Demis Bellot demis.bellot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 13:53:55 EDT 2010

Sadly I have to agree with this as well. I didn't know how much VS.NET did
for me until I had to use MonoDevelop (An IDE without).
VS.NET/R# seems to follow the workflow of a developer gracefully, managing
namespaces and files. Intelligent variable suggestions/re-naming, Completing
your sentences and on-the-fly re-factoring. You can Alt+Enter on any code
that doesn't follow convention and easily auto-fix and format it back into
style.

I don't want to criticize the MonoDevelop team (as developing a functional
IDE is a monumental task) but the current state of MD on OSX is generations
away from VS.NET/R# and as a result developer productivity suffers.

Hopefully the MonoTouch team is given enough feedback to make
VS.NETintegration a top priority. Personally I would be happy with
being able to
only run on the simulator in VS.NET and defer to MD for running on the
device.

Not that it is possible, I would also be happier with using a commercial
JetBrains IDE. Since they're now producing IDE's for every popular lang
maybe they can be coerced into creating an IDE for C#. Since they have a lot
of intelligence around C# and will be able to re-use the R# code-base it may
be a quick win?

Note I'm happy that MonoTouch allows me to re-use my existing code-base - I
just think the team should know the major friction point new devs are
having.

- Demis