[Moonlight-list] Fwd: silverlight 3 features

Chris Toshok toshok at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 10:52:14 EST 2009

> Subject: 	silverlight 3 features
> Date: 	Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:36:58 -0500
> From: 	David Reveman <dreveman at novell.com>
>

> Been doing some basic background research on the silverlight features we
> need to implement for 3.0. I'm currently getting to know the moonlight
> code base and will start to implement the features in the order
> described below asap..
>
> - david
>

> Silverlight 3.0
> ===============
>
> Perspective 3D
> --------------
>
> Basic perspective transformations of 2D objects is all that is supported
> by silverlight 3.0. Perspective transformations are not supported by the
> cairo API but supported by pixman and xlib backends.
This is awesome, I didn't know this (that it was supported by pixman/xlib).
>   Which means we have
> to implement it as bitmap transformations by pushing the rendering of a
> UIElement into a bitmap and render that bitmap unto its parent with the
> perspective transformation. This intermediate compositing step will have
> an impact on performance mostly due to the extremely inefficient
> implementation of perspective transformation in pixman.

Nod, sounds like an area where we can possibly contribute some
performance gains back to pixman after we've got things working.
> TODO
> ====
>
> Pixel shaders, perspective transformations and bitmap caching can be
> implemented in a similar way to how the opacity mask property in the
> UIElement class is handled.
>
> I recommend that we use Gallium3D for pixel processing
>
> Gallium3D
>    + MIT licenced
>    + SSE2 optimized software implementation
>    + LLVM implementation
>    + Can be hardware accelerated if necessary
>
> We need to convert .ps effect files to TGSI

Hm, the only possible problem is download size.  how large is gallium3d
(the portions we need, anyway) when built?
> Proposed order of implementation:
>
> 1. Bitmap caching
> 2. Perspective transformations
> 3. Pixel shaders