[Moonlight-list] branches, betas, oh my

Sebastien Pouliot sebastien.pouliot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 08:23:56 EST 2009


On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 23:43 -0800, Chris Toshok wrote:
> I branched trunk for the moonlight-2.0 release tonight.  Trunk is now 
> open for 3.0 work, pixel shaders, pal work, video4linux work, etc.
> 
> I also tagged from the 2.0 branch for beta 8 (1.99.8), which we'll 
> hopefully get out the door tomorrow.
> 
> Things are going to be a little more complicated wrt the beta with the 
> number of branches to cherrypick between, but I think we're sitting ok 
> for it and shouldn't need any fixes.
> 
>  From here on out all changes potentially targeted at 2.0 should first 
> be checked into trunk.  instead of passing diffs around via monobin or 
> urls or pasting into irc, we can just refer to svn revisions.  That way 
> we can all see if the tests pass with a given revision (basically trunk 
> becomes the try-server).  We need to be real sticklers for what makes it 
> into 2.0.  At this point the default should be "no", unless there's a 
> compelling reason to accept it, and only after many of us have taken a 
> look at a given change.  Verification/security fixes, as well as good 
> performance fixes get pretty much a free pass to "compelling", but other 
> feature/bug related things need a closer eye.  No more rubber stamping 
> reviews, please.
> 
> The more complicated state of affairs for the beta would obviously 
> require checking into 2 different locations on top of trunk, so let's 
> just not put anything else in the beta :)
> 
> the urls are:
> 
> 2.0 branch:  svn+ssh://mono-cvs.ximian.com/source/branches/moon/moon-2-0/
> 1.99.8 tag: svn+ssh://mono-cvs.ximian.com/source/branches/moon/1.99.8/
> 
> I also think tomorrow we should move the bulk of the bots to running 
> against the 2.0 branch, with a skeleton crew of bots on trunk.
> 
> thoughts?

* cherrypicking fixes from mono/mcs might be hard. Not sure people (like
Rodrigo) are looking forward to backport fixes (like the verifier) to
several branches;

* do we move moon trunk now (or later) to mono/mcs trunk (2.7) ? I think
the right question is "will Mono 2.8 be stable before, or at the time,
we plan to release 3.0?". IMO better wait a bit to know the answer...

* if we stage all (well most since 2.0/3.0 incompatibilities obviously
are bad candidates[1]) changes on trunk first then we need more bots
there (than the less used 2.0 branch)

* speaking of 2.0/3.0 incompatibilities, should we start fixing them now
or later ? It's gonna be hard (unless people use several VM) to have
both SL2 and SL3 running on Windows to compare results. Updating or not
SL will cause a different set of problems.

Sebastien

[1] another bad candidate are the changes to security attributes (and
audit data) since they need to be generated on the branch itself (not
copied over from a different code base)



More information about the Moonlight-list mailing list