[Moonlight-list] Fwd: silverlight 3 features

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Nov 12 10:48:04 EST 2009

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 12:28:43 -0800, Chris Toshok quoted David Reveman:

> Been doing some basic background research on the silverlight features we
> need to implement for 3.0. I'm currently getting to know the moonlight
> code base and will start to implement the features in the order
> described below asap..
> Perspective 3D
> --------------
>
> Basic perspective transformations of 2D objects is all that is supported
> by silverlight 3.0. Perspective transformations are not supported by the
> cairo API but supported by pixman and xlib backends.
> Pixel Shader APIs
> -----------------

Hi David,

This sounds like some very interesting stuff. I'll look forward to
seeing this.

While you're correct that cairo supports neither of these features,
these are two features that people have been wanting to have in cairo
for quite a long time. So as you're developing, if you could give some
thought toward pushing this functionality down into cairo as much as
makes sense that would be very appreciated[*].

Have fun,

-Carl

[*] For example, the only sticking point in cairo for supporting
perspective transformations has been how this would impact the
cairo_stroke algorithm, (which has always worked with a fixed-width
pen). But recent work to implement cairo_stroke_to_path means that we
could do a pre-transform stroke and then transform the resulting path.
So with that out of the way, adding perspective transformations to cairo
should be quite easy.