[Moonlight-list] Extra assemblies in the plugin directory

Sebastien Pouliot sebastien.pouliot at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:40:00 EST 2009

Hello,

We have two extra assemblies currently being installed in the plugin
directory.

1) Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.dll

        This assembly generates the debugging symbols. This assembly
        should be installed along with smcs.exe (not inside the plugin
        assemblies) since it's not part of the "platform code", i.e. it
        does not get the permission to call anything (mostly file i/o)
        that could it useful under CoreCLR. So right now* smcs is the
        only scenario that make sense.

        * maybe we should explore having "in-memory" symbols (no file
        io) for SRE use cases (but that's out of ML2 scope :-)

2) System.Xml.Linq.dll

        IIRC we can now use the assembly provided with MS SL SDK,
        right ? so there's not point in having this one installed since
        ML prefers the assembly in the XAP itself* to the one in the
        plugin directory. Also the XAP won't work (on SL) if the
        assembly is required but not part of the XAP.

        * which would be the one provided by MS most of the time - but
        could be the one Mono (or Moon SDK) provides too.

Comment ? Am I forgetting something ? If not then I'll commit the
attached patch later today. That will save about 100kb (before
compression) on the plugin download.

Sebastien