[Moonlight-list] initial bitmap caching

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Tue Nov 17 20:35:19 EST 2009

not sure I understand the xaml parsing code completely yet. the attached
patch to xaml.cpp (moon-cache-mode-from-str.diff) is required to parse
the "CacheMode" property as a none XAML property element. works but i
don't know if this is the appropriate way to solve this..

moon-bitmap-cache.diff is some initial code that implements bitmap
caching. likely not exactly what we want to use but it works ok and
gives about 100% performance improvement to a simple test like
bubblemark.com. it's completely broken in the sense that it doesn't
invalidate the bitmap cache as the sub-hierarchy of a uielement changes.
there seems to be a lot of unnecessary invalidation taking place right
now which makes the bitmap cache useless and that needs to be resolved
first..

another problem in the patch is the ugly handling of the LayoutClip.
this is because the layout clip is not passed top-down through the
hierarchy during rendering but instead fetched bottom-up, which prevents
the bitmap caching code from properly making adjustments to the layout.

i'm currently working on fixing the invalidation and layout clipping
problems as they are crucial to implementing other features like
perspective transformations and pixel shaders. ideas and recommendations
are of course much appreciated.

- david