[Moonlight-list] Video on demand player NPO

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge rolflists at ya.com
Thu Nov 19 08:32:03 EST 2009

Hi Sjoerd,

> I've experienced extremely choppy play on my MacBook Pro (using
> VMWare) using beta 8. However, I'm testing it now on my Mac Pro (again
> using VMWare) and it seems to work correctly. I will try to reproduce
> it later this day, I don't have access to my MBP at the moment. One
> thing I do notice is that the upscaling in Moonlight for full screen
> video seems to work differently than the scaling in Silverlight while
> playing content, see (be sure to watch them at 100%):
>
> http://misc.omroep.nl/slplayer/silverlight.jpg
> http://misc.omroep.nl/slplayer/moonlight.jpg

This comes down to a performance decision: we can easily increase the
quality, but playback will get choppier. The best would probably be to have
some sort of dynamic control - if playback isn't choppy, try to increase the
quality, however this hasn't been implemented yet.

> I'm also having issues scrubbing to a different timestamp in the
> video, in Moonlight it does not always jump to the correct spot. After
> you scrub it may play for a few seconds and then after some time it
> will jump to the correct spot.
> I've uploaded the debug output at:
>
> http://misc.omroep.nl/slplayer/mmsdebug.txt
>
> Also, when I scrub I do not see the "Buffering" indicator that I would
> normally see when using the Silverlight plug-in.

I see this too now, I'll try to find a fix asap.

Rolf