[Moonlight-list] Why moonlight on Linux?

Stifu stifu at free.fr
Thu Jan 7 03:05:45 EST 2010

shmuel100 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am not familiar with the moonlight project.
> Can someone explain me why I need moonlight on Linux?
> To my understanding i can use Silverligth to this purpose.
>
> Thanks
> Shmuel

Silverlight is avaible for Windows and Mac, but not for Linux. Actually,
Microsoft recently ported Silverlight to a certain Linux distro, but just
one in particular (details:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/24/silverlight_to_linux/).
Besides, Moonlight is open source, and Linux distros naturally tend to favor
open source programs over closed ones (more or less, depending on the
distro). Also, Microsoft supports the Moonlight project (not financially
AFAIK, but helps by communicating, providing test cases and stuff), making
it basically the "offical" open counterpart to Silverlight.