[Moonlight-list] Confused about moonlight installation in Firefox 3.5.6 and/or Seamonkey 2.0.1

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge rolflists at ya.com
Tue Jan 19 03:03:38 EST 2010

Hi,

> I've attempted a couple of times to install moonlight in my x86-64-
> based laptop. When I attempt to open a Silverlight-enabled service named
> freestockcharts.com, Firefox 3.5.6 hangs after a long time saying it is
> "Accessing http://sourceforge.net/projects/stapgui" displaying a
> rotating wheel of little ellipses, then "Transferrring data from
> www.freestockcharts.com", finally ending up with a blank page saying
> "Done".

Can you try silverlight.net/showcase? Does that page work?

I just tried www.freestockcharts.com and the same thing happens - from the
output on the console it seems to be an obfuscated site which moonlight
doesn't support (obfuscated in an illegal way which happens to work with SL
since their code verification is lax in some cases).

> My about:plugins display appears to indicate two instances of moonlight
> installed:
>

>     Silverlight Plug-In
>
>     File name: libmoonloaderxpi.so
>     3.0.40818.0
>
> MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
> application/x-silverlight 	Novell Moonlight 	xaml 	Yes
> application/x-silverlight-2 	Novell Moonlight
> 	Yes

This is normal, the Moonlight 2 plugin handles both Silverlight 1 and
Silverlight 2 content.

> However, attempting the same process in Seamonkey produces no evidence
> of moonlight plugins in about:plugins, and attempting to load
> freestockcharts.com produces the "Install Microsoft Silverlight" splash
> page. It was from my encountering this splash page multiple times that
> the duplicate installation appears to have occurred.

Only firefox is known to work.

> I am unclear on whether I should:
>
> (a) simply remove the two pluginreg.dat entries
>    0:application/x-silverlight:Novell Moonlight:xaml:$
>    1:application/x-silverlight-2:Novell Moonlight::$
>       and reinstall from the splash screen
>
> OR
>
> (b) delete pluginreg.dat (which, while recommended in this mailing
> list) seems like major surgery since there are hundreds of lines in that
file

Firefox will regenerate it automatically (which is why it's not a major
surgery, and why (a) is a bad idea - the next time you install/uninstall any
plugin you'll lose your changes). If you don't feel confident in deleting a
file, you can just rename it. In any case it sounds like your moonlight
install is working, just not that web page.

Rolf