[Moonlight-list] Confused about moonlight installation in Firefox 3.5.6 and/or Seamonkey 2.0.1

Burnie West west at ieee.org
Tue Jan 19 08:39:34 EST 2010

On 01/19/2010 12:03 AM, Rolf Bjarne Kvinge wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> I've attempted a couple of times to install moonlight in my x86-64-
>> based laptop. When I attempt to open a Silverlight-enabled service named
>> freestockcharts.com, Firefox 3.5.6 hangs after a long time saying it is
>> "Accessinghttp://sourceforge.net/projects/stapgui" displaying a
>> rotating wheel of little ellipses, then "Transferrring data from
>> www.freestockcharts.com", finally ending up with a blank page saying
>> "Done".
>>

> Can you try silverlight.net/showcase? Does that page work?

Page comes up showing multiple thumbnails appearing one at a time,
several seconds apart.
Clicked on Michael Hill jewelry page.
Alert window appears with "view now" button. Clicked it; normal firefox
preference dialog came up.
Selected "Visit michaelhill.com".  Introductory page appeared for
several seconds, but now the screen is black.
"Transferring data from www.michaelhill.com..." appears in the progress
bar at the bottom of the window.
Seems terribly slow; nothing happens for several minutes.

Now, the screen is still solid black, and the progress bar says :"Done".

My machine is an HP tx2500z 2 GHz laptop with external monitor; ATI
graphics engine. Should be fast enough, I think.

Went over to Windows 7 - the page seems to come up (feels like) ten
times faster. Michael Hill website is non responsive, but
the SantaPede game seems to work OK (didn't play it, though, just
enjoyed the splash screen music for a few seconds - not a gamer).
Returning to Linux - - -

Just had a power outage: big thunderstorm in SF Bay Area; will complete
this message when my internet connection returns.

Internet is back now -- SantaPede loads but requires "Microsoft Media
Pack" to run. I'm unsure whether Fedora Linux can handle that, so back
to another test case.

Checking Telerik Tweets page - the Silverlight rosette appears for about
ten seconds, then the page goes blank. Progress bar says done.

Conclusion - moonlight doesn't work on my system.

Went to silverlight.net - showcase graphic says "You are running a
silverlight 3 application. May not work properly on your system."

> I just triedwww.freestockcharts.com  and the same thing happens - from the
> output on the console it seems to be an obfuscated site which moonlight
> doesn't support (obfuscated in an illegal way which happens to work with SL
> since their code verification is lax in some cases).

Thanks much for your detailed responses below, Rolf. Not sure what to do
now.